Friday, April 15, 2011

Managing Reality

This work has been founded in my curiosity, exploring the conscious and unconscious mind, subjective and objective reality and presence through absence. It has been my intention to create images where these dualities exist simultaneously acting and reacting against each other. Typically, my practice is concerned with individual and unique perceptions of reality. The idea of existing within or perceiving multiple realities is a theme that is prevalent in my work. My most recent series titled Managing Reality expresses feelings of loneliness and seclusion that can be associated with an altered state of consciousness. This series maintains a conversation between subject and environment examining their fragile connection. Managing Reality has pushed me to experiment with digital video. This has allowed me to expand upon the static image by conveying a series of deliberate actions that form a loop in which the subjects are trapped within a singular repeating experience. The subjects are unknowingly isolated within their own world of sensory perception and are unable to access a greater objectivity.



1 comment:

  1. Shane, both film loops evoked very strong feelings within me.

    ReplyDelete